Friday, June 18, 2010
I'm in London! ♥ 11:28 AM
The day I've been waiting a great number of months for is finally here. And not only that, but it's proven to be one of the longest (yet shortest) days of my life. The 17th was my travel day, so that hardly counts as a day at all. However, the fact that I've been running on 5 hours of sleep for the last 30 hours does. So forgive me if I drift in and out of sense-making. I'm a little delusional. In fact, part of me doesn't even believe this is really happening. That delusional.
Anyway. My flights and transfers were all successful. (Obviously, or I probably wouldn't be writing this right now.) I must say, though… If you're flying to or from the UK, British Airways really is the way to go. Not only that, but I discovered some things along the way. Such as, Fanta in the UK isn't some sugary orange soda, rather it starts as orange juice, with carbonation and natural sugars added to enhance "flavour". Further, if you're high enough in the sky, any day in London is a sunny one. The minute we flew through those clouds, though, the sun was gone and the weather appeared to be back to the typical overcast London day we all know and love(?).
Heathrow proved to be a little bit crazy for the other people in my group, but luckily everyone got in safe and had no real problems. After waiting for everyone at the airport for a few hours, we checked into our hotel around 1:00. Our Resident Director, Rachel, was craving this pizza place around the corner, so a few of us met her in the lobby soon after for lunch. I ordered the Padana (goat cheese, spinach, caramelized red onions) from Pizza Express and was very satisfied. More importantly, though, I learned the "correct" British way to eat pizza with a knife and fork. I think it's a little painful at times for beginners and you really have to work at it if you're not used to it, but I'd like to think I caught on pretty quick for it only being my first day here.
After lunch a bus tour of the city was planned. There's so much history here and way too much to be able to take in, in a 2 hour bus ride. I can just hope that after six weeks, more of London will stick with me. However, the guide and driver were nice enough to pull over so we could get out and take proper photos.
Right now, I'm just killing time after getting in a shower (feels so good to be clean) and before our meeting tonight. I don't even know what's planned for tomorrow, but I hear something about a walking tour. Hmmm…
love from london,
lixx
The End.